Office of Regional Jt-DGFT
Office of the Jt-DGFT Ludhiana
This Directorate, with headquarters at New Delhi, is headed by the Director General. Keeping in line with liberalization and globalization and the overall objective of increasing of exports, DGFT is assigned the role of a “facilitator”. It is responsible for implementing the Foreign Trade Policy (FTP) and Notifying Hand Book of Procedures(HBP) with the main objective of promoting India’s exports. The DGFT also issues licenses to exporters and monitors their corresponding obligations through a network of 35 Regional Offices. Ludhiana is one of the 35 Regional Authorities of DGFT having jurisdiction over Punjab (except districts of Amritsar ,Roop Nagar and S.A.S Nagar).
The main Functions and responsibilities of DGFT are as below:
- DGFT entrusted with the responsibility of implementing various policies regarding trade for example, Foreign Trade Policy with major objective of promoting import and export related activities in India.
- DGFT is the licensing authority for exporters, importers, and export and import business.DGFTcan prohibit, restrict and regulate imports and exports through Notifications and Public Notices. Regional Authorities issue licences ,wherever the Goods are restricted for Imports or export
- DGFT has important role to issue Notifications, Public notices, Ayaat-Niryaat Forms, Foreign Trade Policy, Foreign Trade Procedures and clarifications from time to time in form of Policy Circulars.
- Regional offices (RAs) under DGFT grant 10 digit IEC (Importer Exporter Code), which is a primary requirement for any firm/person/company/venture wanting to Import Export in India.
- DGFT introduces different schemes from time to time regarding trade benefits throughout the country.
- DGFT Notifies ITC (HS CODE) schedule-1 for import items in India and Schedule-2 for Export items from India. This classification is harmonised with International Classification and is reference for deciding on the nature of restrictions on the import or export of particular items in India.
- The RAs under DGFT have direct role in issuing Status Certificates recognizing the exporters as Export House(EH), Star Export House(SEH) ,Trading House(TH),Star Trading House(STH) and Premier Trading House (PTH) on achieving Export Performance FOB/FOR value for Rupees 20/100/500/2500/7500 crores in current plus previous three years. The holding of Status provides various facilities under the FTP/HBP including facility of furnishing legal Undertaking (instead of Bank Guarantees) for clearance of consignments, extremely liberal procedure for clearance of import/export consignments and also special licences from time to time.
- The RAs under DGFT have direct role in issuing various Duty Free Scrips under chapter-3 of FTP like Focus Market Scheme (FMS), Focus Product Scheme (FPS), Vishesh Krishi and Gram Upaj Yojana (VKGUY) scrips, Market Linked Focal Product Scrips (MLFPS) scrips,Agri Infrastructure Incentive scrips, Served from India Scheme scrips (SFIS),Status Holders Incentive Scrips (SHIS).
- The RAs under DGFT have direct role in issuing various Authorisations under chapter-4 of the FTP/HBP which includes Advance Authorisations (AA), Duty Free Import Authorisation (DFIA).These Authorisations allow exemption from customs( full or partial exemption depending upon the scheme which is selected by the exporter) duties payable on the Inputs.
- The RAs under DGFT have direct role in issuing EPCG (Export Promotion Capital Goods Scheme) Authorisations under chapter-5 of the FTP/HBP which allow import of capital goods at zero/3 percent duty subject to Export obligation to be fulfilled as per conditions laid down in the FTP/HBP.A new scheme called Post Export EPCG Scheme has also been recently introduced in FTP on 5.6.2012.
- All the Regional Authorities under DGFT have an important role in implementations of various schemes by Ministry
of Commerce for the exporters falling under the jurisdiction. This include:
- Assistance to states for infrastructure development for exports.
- Financial assistance to export promotion councils, industry and trade associations, agencies of State Govt. Indian Commercial mission abroad and other persons as Market Access initiative.
- Financial assistance for marketing development.
- Apart from the above, Ludhiana Regional Authorities (RA) of the DGFT acts as a trade facilitator. It also deals with the quality complaints of the foreign buyers. It works in close coordination with other related economic offices like Customs Commissionerates, Central Excise authorities, DRI authorities and Enforcement Directorate.
The office is situated at 133 to 136, Green Field, Near Shakti Nagar Chowk, Ludhiana-141002.
133 to 136,
Near Shakti Nagar Chowk,
Fax No.: 0161-2421280